The first peanut butter cookie recipe appeared in the 1930’s, in a research bulletin compiled by renowned African American educator and inventor George Washington Carver. The bulletin was intended to promote the use of peanuts. While the cookie has evolved from the original recipe for simply “peanut cookies”, the popularity of peanut butter cookies has only grown.
Peanut butter cookies are the second most popular cookie recipe category on this site. People love the simple, sweet, peanuty goodness of peanut butter cookie recipes. They are also some of the easiest cookies to make and wonderful to bake with children.
The origins of the peanut butter cookies date back to the 1930s. There was even a recipe printed for them in the 1933 cookbook “Balanced Recipes” put out by Pillsbury. The dough was made into balls, which were then placed on a baking sheet. A fork was to be used to flatten the cookie. The criss-cross pattern for the cookie was also developed at this time. This gave these cookies their signature look that is still often seen today.
Today, there are many variations of the peanut butter cookies today. People down through the years have added various touches to the cookies. Hidden centers, frosting, chocolate, and even jam are additions to the recipes. Some are crisp, while others are chewy. There are those that prefer the crunchy peanut butter to the creamy, but either type can be used in most recipes.
Some Popular Types of Peanut Butter Cookies
1. Peanut Butter Cookies – this is just a simple version with no added touches. They do however have the signature criss-cross pattern spoken of earlier.
2. Frosted Peanut Butter Cookies – these are a basic cookie with the addition of peanut butter frosting. What a treat!
3. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies – These have cream cheese, cocoa and other good things added with the peanut butter to make up the cookies. Then there is a chocolate icing to go on top.
4. Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies – These are peanut butter cookies made into a ball and not pressed flat. After they bake a Hershey’s kiss is pressed into the middle of them. Chocolate and peanut butter is a perfect combination for a treat.
5. Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies – These have old fashioned oats added to the recipe. This gives the cookies an added dimension. Below you will find this recipe listed.
Featured — Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
1/2 of a cup of granulated sugar
1/2 of a cup of packed dark brown sugar
1/2 of a cup of crunchy peanut butter
1/4 of a cup of butter (softened) *margarine can be used
1/4 of a cup of shortening
1/2 of a cup of old-fashioned oats (uncooked)
1 1/4 cups of the all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cream the sugars, butter, shortening and peanut butter together. Add the 2 eggs and beat for 2 minutes. While this is beating measure the flour, oats, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl and stir. Then add these dry ingredients in with the creamed mixture.
Drop spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart. Do not flatten. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, they should be slightly brown. Cool about 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
Peanut butter cookies remain a favorite for young and old alike. Make a batch today to see how delicious these sweet treats can be. While you are eating them, remember you would not be enjoying them at all if it weren’t for the humble peanut.